Design Lead with 15 years experience working across the private and public sector. I have been primarily working in agile environments, designing integrated digital products and services, design systems and tools that are purposeful and accessible.
Design Lead at HMRC Digital
2017 - Present
- Provide design leadership across multiple programmes of work for COVID, Making Tax Digital and Government Gateway, driving quality and ensuring the design is intuitive, user-focussed and follows the Service Standard (also a trained design assessor).
- Manage 200 designers both civil servants and suppliers across the HMRC estate
- Collaborate with a wide range of fields, business areas and colleagues, including policy and process owners, on the best way to meet user needs through content and service design to ensure our digital services work well for users and achieve policy intent.
- Work in a multidisciplinary senior leadership team (Product, Research, Delivery, Technical and Operations) to instil agile ways of working across our service teams.
- Work with Research Leads to develop research strategy and test design, as well as leading on expansive discovery research and analysis within the broad problem space.
- Work across the design profession to build a strong culture and expertise, whilst embedding skills, best practise and core principles of design into the community (mapping, sketching, prototyping and research techniques)
- Between December 2020 - March 2021 I was promoted to Acting Deputy Head of Design during a period of restructuring.
Lead Designer at Vitsoe
2015 - 2017
- Embedded agile ways of working within this leading sustainable furniture company, created prototypes and used user-testing to drive design decisions and engagement with stakeholders.
- Identified end-to-end processes through regular workshops and co-design with internal and external stakeholders, distilling complex product challenges into workable accessible solutions.
- Developed a strong vision and robust design system (components and patterns), that bridged research, tech and non-digital colleagues with a common language.
Freelance Designer at R/GA
2015 - 2017
- Developed a lean delivery methodology for Google’s Web Fundamentals, which included pair design with developers as a principle. The small multidisciplinary team worked in 1-week sprints to deliver a framework for Google in 4 weeks.
- Worked as a visual designer on Google’s Year In Search, leading the design direction and UI. A Year In Search harnessed Google's data, trends and insights to create a data-driven snapshot of humanity.
- The global branding campaign received a D&AD pencil award in recognition of this work.
Design director at DigitasLBi
2011 - 2014
- Lead the successful deployment of Honda Europe from concept to execution. The agile delivery consisted of 2 weeks sprints and the product was launched iteratively across 13 European markets.
- Responsible for the design direction, working collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team developing the vision, designs and design system. I oversaw the running of the project - documenting designs in Confluence, attending scrums, story pointing and managing sprint planning to ensure the vision was delivered throughout the agile process.
- Line-managed 3 designers; two junior and 1 mid-weight, supporting their creative and personal development, whilst also playing a significant role in developing DigitasLBi’s professions skills framework.
Mid-weight designer at Wunderman (Melbourne, Australia)
2010 - 2010
- Developed my craft as a visual designer, working on some of Australia’s iconic brands executing work for Ford, Vegemite and Yellowglen. The work ranged from integrated campaigns, brand experiences and digital spaces.
Digital creative at Karmarama
2005 - 2010
- Played a significant part in the creation and development of Karmarama’s digital in-house department and capability.
- Designed digital experiences that supported integrated campaigns.
- By 2010 Karmama had developed a small digital outfit composed of digital producers, art directors and writers
University of the Arts London
2000 – 2005
2:1 BA Hons, Advertising
Google; Year In Search